Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My, Does Time Fly

I’ve devoted a large chunk of my Labor Day weekend plugging away with my team, and Ive gotten quite a few upgrades.

Cain has gotten the most significant, bringing his total defense up to 475 along with a total spellpower of 218 and 10.3K health unbuffed. Abyl is sitting at 1165 +healing, 318 Mp5 and 8.4K mana. The mages range from 629-666 +damage and 8.4K - 8.6K mana unbuffed. Slowly but surely, I am making my way to being sufficiently geared for heroics.

I even had the liberty of running a heroic as my tank for a little bit on Saturday. Some Guildmates tried doing a heroic run of ramps, but lacked a competent tank to do heroic ramps with. Specifically, they had some idiot warrior who ran in pvp gear and no shield. Could not keep aggro to save his life. So, since I was on, I decided to give it a whirl.

In short, I was able to hold aggro much, much better. Instead, my main problem is health, as I had roughly 10.5k unbuffed at the time. Regardless, I was still able to tank the first two bosses. It felt very odd playing just the tank, as I found my self smashing Ctrl-1 (my fireball keybinding) almost after every pull.

Nazan, however, owned me. Fire damage for 4.7K? Yikes. Time to start building a FR set. We even brought in Amanda with her more epicly geared pally tank, and still lost.

That said, this run again reminded me why I don’t like pugging. Immaturity was the main thing. People pulling stupid things when they shouldn’t be pulling. Using aoe abilities when surrounded by CC’d mobs. Things like that. In short, I felt out of place not being able to control every aspect of the fight. Guildies not excluded.

Besides my heroic run, I was able to add some more bosses to my personal progression. I cleared Steamvaults solo on Friday, and again on Sat, making it my first lv 70 instance that I can do entirely solo. I also did the 1st and 3rd bosses in Mechanar, and the first boss in Botanica. 2nd boss in mech requires just way to much individual movement, combined with lots of threat reducing abilities makes her impossible for me. The second boss in Botanica wasn’t as hard, but more of a gear check. By the time he does a second tranquility, my mages have no mana and are unable to burn down the adds.

This was all before I got revered with Shattered Sun and got a major upgrade for everyone’s weapon. Now I just need to get a good offhander for my casters and I’ll be set.

Now, I am wondering how to proceed a bit in terms of what to buy first with my money. Right now, I have two money sinks. 1st, is my epic flying mount skill which I am more than 1/5 done (cain’s has been bought). 2nd, and less expensive, is the Battlecast hood that my Priest can make. I already bought it for Furfur, and it provides a significant boost and is probably the best helm I can get prior to Badge or heroic gear. The problem is that it costs nearly a grand to make in materials (8 primal might’s each, ouch).

Personally, I am leaning to putting a hold on the mount skill and purchasing the materials for the helm. With the helm means I can finish putting the needed gems in my caster’s gear, which will close the gap they currently have and bring them all towards 640ish +damage, up over 100 damage since last weekend. It will make instances that much easier to progress through and one piece of gear that I can scratch off my list.

No comments: